Dr. Glovsky provides training in Motivational Interviewing in a variety of formats, custom designed for your staff and resources. Contact us for a free training proposal and consultation regarding the most efficient use of resources for training you and your staff.
- Motivational Interviewing workshops tailored to the needs of our trainees:
– Offered as a traditional in-person skill building workshop, lasting 1-3 days;
– Briefer skill building workshop formats, such as 2 hours to ½ day;
– Lecture, 1-2 hours: Overview of Motivational Interviewing
– Intermediate and Advanced MI training and follow up sessions:
- Webinars and other online methods for MI training, planned specifically for your staff and training needs.
MI Workshop Trainings We Offer
All MI trainings are planned with at least three basic modes of instruction. These include
- Lecture using Power Point slides;
- Viewing of video clips demonstrating “how to” and “how not to”;
- Practice activities with trainees either playing themselves or role playing a client/patient, and
- Group discussion specifically around problem-solving in participants’ settings.
Motivational Interviewing: the Basics
These workshops offer the best in current practice of MI using cutting edge approaches to teaching and training the spirit and skills of MI. This training can be offered in different lengths, from a half-day, 3 hour session, to a 2-day session. It is designed for professionals who have little to no experience with MI, or those who wish to refresh their MI skills. Participants can expect to leave such trainings with an understanding of the basic spirit of MI, and with the longer sessions, proficiency in one or more of the MI techniques.
Motivational Interviewing and Dietary Behavior Change
This workshop can be offered either as a Basic Training, or Advanced Training, as described below. The focus of these sessions is on dietary change, using examples and role plays familiar to those professionals who work with clients/patients fostering change in diet.
Motivational Interviewing: Intermediate to Advanced Trainings
These workshop trainings are designed specifically for the setting in which they are offered. They are for professionals who have had some hands-on MI training, or have completed at least some online training and independent study via printed material or online reading. Advanced trainings include more hands-on practice with coaching and supervision offered by Dr. Glovsky.
On-Going Coaching and Supervision
This approach to on-going training is done in either small groups or one-to-one, and is tailored to the setting in which it is provided. Participants will be asked to audio tape themselves with a client/patient or someone role playing a patient, and the group will work together to critique and support the professional in improving MI skills. These supervision sessions also include group discussion and brainstorming solutions to problems facing them.
Tutorials and Coaching
You can learn the basics of MI one-to- one with Dr. Glovsky, either in person or by phone or Skype. I also offer coaching and feedback to improve your MI skills.
For those relatively new to MI, Dr. Glovsky offers coaching to help you begin your journey with MI.
**Registered Dietitians can earn Continuing Education Units for studying MI from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics via a “sponsored learning contract”. Read more about this here.
For those who have some basic MI training and wish to advance their skills, you can do so with Dr. Ellen. This is also recommended as a “checkup” for those who have been using MI for a while and want to know how they are doing, and how they might improve.
Here’s how it works:
- You provide an audiotape or digital audio recording of a 20-30 minute counseling session (real or role-played).
- I listen to it and use the Motivational Interviewing Treatment Integrity (MITI) Scale to provide qualitative and quantitative feedback. I will email you a written feedback report.
- In a 30-minute telephone call scheduled at your convenience, we will review the feedback, use role-play and other experiential methods to help you improve MI skill, and develop a plan to increase your confidence in applying MI in your daily professional practice.
- We can also discuss additional individual training options, tailored to your professional needs.
- This individualized activity can provide useful feedback to clinicians at all levels of familiarity with Motivational Interviewing, but it is most useful after some initial training.
Individual coaching can also be used as a “checkup”, or a way to refresh your MI skills and improve your abilities using MI.
For more information, please email me directly at Ellen@TrainingWithDrEllen.com
Or you may complete a quick contact form here.